Monday, July 14, 2008

Strip searching 13 year olds at school can get you in trouble with the law

Vice Principal authorized the search without contacting the parents and is now financially liable. Ya' think?

From the ACLU Blog: Strip Search of 13-Year-Old for Ibuprofen Ruled Unconstitutional
If you have a problem with school officials strip searching 13-year-olds for Advil – or if you care about the government’s standards for informant use and invasive searches – you can take relief in yesterday’s ruling by a full panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, which ruled 6-5 that students cannot be strip-searched based on the uncorroborated word of another student who is facing disciplinary punishment.
I think the comment from CanIGetAWitness pretty much sums up my feelings:
I would ABSOLUTELY BEAT THE CRAP out of someone strip searching my 13yr old daughter in a school. You can keep her in a supervised room until I arrive and deal with it.

No comments: