Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Commitment = Success

Sometimes I struggle to understand why my students don't graduate. Each one has obstacles and each situation is different... but commitment can overcome almost any obstacle. I guess I just don't understand lack of commitment.

Traver and I visited with a student who is within 2 months of graduation but wants to go away for a month (or more) to visit with relatives. The visit made me think of other kids who dropped out while in spitting distance of a diploma. All bright students who have the potential to complete HS and college.

AVAIL provides every opportunity for HS dropouts to catch up and graduate. But days like today make me wonder if we are effectively communicating the importance of commitment.

The bottom line is that we need to do more to help them see why education is important. It's not just about the diplomas or degrees, but making a commitment to success.

Students, be committed to yourself and to your education. And get your diploma! It will set you on the path to lifelong success.

No comments: